Kruševac as a town dates back to 1371,when it was built as a fortified town by Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović, who used it as his administrative seat. It is located in the Rasina district of central Serbia and numbers around 73 316 inhabitants. Kruševac is famous for its splendind natural environment and on each side it is envelopedbz rivers and mountains, which only emphasize the scenery.
Church Lazarica: Situated in the town center, records have it that the church was built between the period 1377and 1380 by Prince Lazar (Hrebeljanović) in the Byzantine and Moravian style to glorify birth of Prince Lazar’s firstborn son Stefan. The church features an impressive dome over three bays, it has a trefoil base, with three bays and a dome over the middle one. Beside the church the remains of the Dožon Tower (which was at the entrance to the city) can be seen, the main city defense tower 60 feet high, whose exterior made of tiny pebles earned Kruševac the name Šaren Grad (Colorful City). Within the tower a corridor and a staircase lead to the higher levels of the city walls.
Thanks to its turbulent history, Kruševac can boast of its numerous monuments of historical significance, such as Simić’s House, the oldest building in Kruševac, or Memorial Park Slobodište, the memorial complex devoted to freedom and revolution, or Monument to Kosovo heroes, symbol of Kruševac, Peace Monument, located at Gazimestanski Square, Fountain Square and Church of St. George, built in 1904 in the Serbian-Byzantine style, and Monument to Warriors of 1912-1918, dedicated to important figures in Serbian history of the early 20th century.
National Museum, founded in 1951, is in possession of valuable collections in which are chronologically distributed materials starting with the ancient history, accentuating Middle Ages and the time of Prince Lazar and despot Stefan. The artifact which catches the visitors attention the most is the copy of Lazar’s dress, as well as the original model of Meštrovic’s St Vitus Temple which was supposed to be erected where Battle of Kosovo took place.
Another landmark of Kruševac is the Monument to Kosovo’s fallen heroes, a spectacular masterpiece of famous sculptor Đordje Jovanović, who was awarded with the golden medal of the first order on a World Expo in Paris in 1900 for his work done in a style of French Academic Art.
The most beautiful building in Kruševac is definitely the City House. Built before the WWI, the building done in a neoclassical manner, today houses the municipality. Its interior is nothing less impressive, adorned with a sculpture made by a Croatian sculptor Ivan Rendić, showing a girl from Herzegovina weaving a wreath, and as well as the Mosaic Hall where walls depict a life of a Moravian Serbia done in mosaic.
Kruševac is located in the central part of Republic of Serbia, 120 miles away from Belgrade and its highways offer connection to all major Serbian cities and wider, with frequent bus lines.