The royal city Forchheim, idyllically located on the Steigerwald and Franconian Switzerland, is one of the oldest and most popular recreation areas in Germany. It is a charming valley landscape, with many leisure, sports and park facilities and interesting excursions and sights in the surroundings of Forchheim. The historic town center with the typical Franconian half-timbered facades bears witness to a proud history of the old Franconian architecture. Worth mentioning is the Franconian cuisine, which ranges from hearty to solid, accompanied by a fresh beer and homemade booze.
The Kunreuth Castle is situated on the northwestern edge of the eponymous village of Kunreuth which is part of the collective municipality of Gosberg in the county of Forchheim, in the province of Upper Franconia in the south German state of Bavaria. The village of Kunreuth had probably been mentioned in the founding document (Gründungsbuch) of the church of St. James at Bamberg which dates to 1109. Lords of Kunreuth are first recorded in 1308. What is unclear is whether the castle existed there at that time. The former water castle – some of the moats were laid dry in 1827 – has a rectangular base. It consists primarily of a west and a south wing. The south wing probably houses the oldest parts of the castle, which date back to the 14th century. The west wing was given its present appearance mainly in the period from 1611 to 1613. The gateway on the east side of the castle was built in 1624. In 1746 the drawbridge was replaced by a stone bridge. On the north side is a wall with buttresses.
Former Prince-bishop Castle: directly adjacent to the Gereon Chapel is an old building, where the Country Council Forchheim was situated until its relocation to a new building. This building was built in 1685 and served as a prince-bishop's office for a long time. Today's appearance is, however, the result of some rebuilding and expansion projects.
Herder-Gymnasium: A further impressive building on the outskirts of Forchheim's old town is the main building of the Herder-Gymnasium, built in 1903/04. This was planned by the architect Fritz Walter and was for a long time the seat of the only grammar school in Forchheim before the Ehrenbürg-Gymnasium split off as an independent school. When the teaching practically came to a standstill near the end of the Second World War, the premises of the building served temporarily as a hospital.
Kriegerbrunnen: The Kriegerbrunnen was erected in 1927 and is dedicated to the fallen in the First World War. It is a work of the Forchheim sculptor Leisgang.The names ofthe deceased are listed on the memorial plate. In the Easter period, this fountain - like many other fountains in the area - is traditionally decorated with Easter eggs, which earned it another name – the Easter fountain. All these delightful easter fountains can be visited as part of an organized Easter fountain tour.
Nuremberg Gate: The access to the early-modern defense ring, which Forchheim kept in the past from the invasion of enemy troops, formed well-guarded city gates. The Nuremberg Gate is the only one still preserved. It was built in 1698 and is located at the southern end of the defense system. Since the parts of the city wall, which originally joined on the right and left to the magnificent gate, were removed, one can only guess what overwhelming sight it must have been for someone who asked to pass through the gate 300 years ago.
Town Hall: One of the most beautiful squares of Forchheim is the Town Hall Square. Since the Old Town restoration, the square has been reserved for pedestrians only. This gives you an unobstructed view of the imposing half-timbered complex. The square is used from time to time for markets such as the pottery market, flea market or the Christmas market. Right at the Town Hall, the Main street begins with its shops. The Tourist Information is situated in the Town Hall, and exhibitions are held regularly there. The tower houses an old legend, Rathaus-Pöpel, and since 1996 during Christmas it has been transformed into the world's largest Advent calendar.
Main Street: In the Main Street and the side streets you will find Forchheim's colorful shopping world with small specialist shops. People like to shop here, because they know exactly where they can find what they’re looking for, and that they will be welcomed witha good service. Street cafés and ice cream parlors captivate amazed visitors. With the creation of a pedestrian zone, much more quality of life was gained here. Near to short-term parking, underground garage, car park as well as three stops of the city buses surround the Forchheimer shopping mile, but the best option would be to go by bike.
Old Town and Nativity Tour: A tour of the Old Town will show you not only the most important sights of Forchheim, but also the most important and beautiful nativity scenes. The tour leads to the Marienkapelle church, to the Kaiserpfalz and Katharinenspital. A special jewel is the Fuchsenkrippe, a mechanical Franconian nativity scene from the years 1892 to 1895.